Monday, April 9, 2012

Adult Read Review - Just Like That

Just Like That
Margo Candela
Release date: April 3rd, 2012

Goodreads / Amazon
Love new goes out of fashion...
Leslie Quinn might have been dumped by her longtime boyfriend, but she still has her determination to make it as a top stylist at an exclusive Manhattan store. Busy dodging knives from her back stabbing co-workers, Leslie keeps her focus on doing the best possible and going on the occasional (and unsuccessful) blind date to keep her friends off her back. When her manager offers her a last minute plum assignment, Leslie packs her bags to meet a mysterious client who is in need of a complete wardrobe overhaul.  She soon realizes that this mystery man holds the key to her success at work and also to her heart - goodreads synopsis.


My Thoughts
If you've ever watched The Devil Wears Prada, then you've seen the core of this story, yet author Margo Candela managed to tell a story that although familiar, was unique in its own way.  Leslie, overworked, underpaid and unappreciated by her boss, was yearning for growth in her relationships at work and in her personal life.

I loved the frank and unapologetic telling of a single woman's life. Yes, I know that this is not the life of every woman, but I believe it is the life of more single women that we realize or like to admit. It highlights the needs of women and how women take care of them without being preachy or over-the-top. It was great reading a story about a woman who knew what she wanted, was comfortable with herself enough to live without massive regret. Leslie was just waiting for her life to get going, she knew there was more than what she was dealing with.

With a cast of just 4 main characters in the story, author Margo told a fun great story that kept me smiling from beginning to end. Since I knew there was a happy ending coming, I found myself on the edge of my seat through out the story waiting for Leslie's prince charming to stroll through the door. When he did, it was superb! Just as fantastic as I expected it to be.  And as Leslie's boss realizes at the last possible moment - letting Leslie go on that plum assignment was a "big mistake! huge!" (please tell me you get the reference! ... Pretty Woman)

Bottom line - A fun read and I enjoyed reading it immensely.

Keep a sharp eye out for No Need to Ask which is due out this month.  I can't wait to read it!


Other stories by Margo Candela:


No comments:

Post a Comment