Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review - Amber Eyes


Name: Amber Eyes

Author: Jolyn Palliata

Published: January, 2012

Good Reads Synopsis
After an accident, one she shouldn't have walked away from, Lexi's life finally begins. She meets Dez, a new student with the most beautiful eyes she's ever seen. And since gazing into them, Lexi has had vivid waking dreams that pull her back through time, and into the warm embrace of a mysterious stranger - a stranger who becomes all too familiar. When offering an explanation for her detailed visions, Dez changes her world forever with two simple words: Soul Mates. 
For the first time in her life, Lexi feels safe and complete. But lingering in the shadows is the embodiment of evil, coveting the light within her. He's a threat to Lexi's very existence, and to a love that has transcended time. 






My Thoughts
The larger theme of this book is the presence of past lives; a manifestation of “old souls” in the literal sense of the words.  In reading the story swirling around Lexi and Dex, you learn about a world where souls are connected in more intricate ways than you can imagine. A friend is more than a friend, it could be your father in a previous life, a sister, or a mother. The bonds that draw us together are forged over space and times and some bonds are more eternal than others.

The characters in the book were interesting, but not very complex given the storyline. Alexis "Lexi" Young is a 17-year old senior in school who is recovering from the death of her best friend the previous year.  She is smart, knows what she wants in a boy, yet still has the endearing qualities of a young woman coming into her own, unsure of her looks, abilities and personal strengths. But then Dez comes into the picture and Lexi's world is turned upside down. Dez is a young man whom we don't learn very much about, but is portrayed as a strong, stable character who conveys reassurance and comfort.

I did not enjoy reading this book, despite my best intentions. Half-way through, I really was trying to get through it because I do not like to leave books half-read. The premise of the story was interesting, but it was portrayed confusingly. Prior to the big reveal, the story was maudlin and unnecessarily angst-ridden. Once I understood what was happening to Lexi, the story became tolerable, I wish we (the readers) were privy to the heart of the story sooner.  I do not enjoy reading books where the main protagonist is in the dark about events that are unfolding. It fills me with unnecesary frustration and anger when main character is being fed pieces of the truth from everyone around.  I did not fall in love with the characters, but I also feel I didn't get to know them as well as I would have liked to.

That being said, I am curious to know what happens to Lexi in the coming installments of the series and so I am looking forward to reading the next book.  Author Jolyn Palliata's story concept is an intriguing one that appeals to me and I am curious to see where she takes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment